Shelly's Pumpkin Roll

My friend Donna has a daughter who loves pumpkin, so this is dedicated to her.  When making this pumpkin roll, go ahead and make two of them.  You use more of the pumpkin from the can, and it will be a big hit, so you will want more than one.


Shelly's Pumpkin Roll

2/3 cup pumpkin (I use Libby's canned pumpkin)
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix ingredients with a spoon until well-mixed. Grease jelly roll pan--I used a Wilton 15.25 x10.25 x.75 in. You can line your baking sheet with parchment if you like or just spray it with non-stick baking spray. Parchment makes it easier to remove from pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes until brown and springy (the sides will pull away from the pan).  Turn out onto a powdered sugar surface.  I spread a towel out and then plastic wrap or parchment, then sprinkle powdered sugar on top, then turn it out.   Cool.  

Filling

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat with mixer until combined.  Roll the bread, then unroll it.  This will help the rolling process after you have the filling on it.  Spread the filling over bread evenly.  Roll carefully and wrap in plastic wrap to help keep the shape.  Refrigerate.  

This recipe is from my cousin Shelly who has been making them for years.  It is one of my favorite fall desserts.  One of my coworkers Debbie said today, "You don't like cream cheese."  My response was, "I love cream cheese when it is mixed with a cup of powdered sugar and butter!"

Comments

Popular Posts