"I hope that is not your only tree!"

This year the tree at my house is not like other years. For one, it is small.  I mean tabletop small. I just wasn't feeling a big tree this year. If you don't feel it, then it is probably not a good idea to force it because you will probably just make others miserable around you in the process.  Maybe it was something about the economy this year. It just seems extravagance is out.  


If you know me, you know I always have white lights and an ornately decorated tree. But not this year. This year, my tree was free. I was feeling thrifty, and recycle-y. I know, I know, recycle-y is not a word, but that is how I was feeling. This tree came into my life, and I am not one to look a Christmas gift horse in the mouth. I was driving down the road sometime this summer on a 100 degree day wishing it was cooler, and I happened upon a pile of Christmas trees, three of them, placed outside for trash day. I thought, "Really, really?" It was like Christmas just fell from the sky into my lap. I whipped over and loaded up the car. I had no idea the shape, but they looked pretty good, and I was sure I could at least use them outdoors.


The lights didn't work. No problem. I stripped off the old lights and put new ones on the tree. It is here that my tree takes a wild turn. I decided to go with colored lights. Yes, I know, not white. Scandalous! Three trips to the big Wally World and many strands of lights later, I had a cheery, colorfully lit tree. It makes me smile.


So, there it is, my tabletop, recycled out of the trash, colored-lights tree. We might be in recession times, but at my house it is merry and bright. Don't judge me! And if you hear someone say, "I hope that isn't your only tree," just know that I don't care! I love it. 

Comments

Popular Posts