Farmer's Market


Do you have a farmer's market in your town? If you do, you should go immediately and buy as much fresh produce as you can.  The variety of produce is often different than what is in the grocery store.  And it is always fresher because it has been picked recently. I like to buy tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, onions (red and yellow), and most of all okra. One recent saturday, I was at the farmer's market mulling over the squash choices and one of the farmer's gave me a squash I had never had before. It was a pattypan squash. He said to grill it with a little butter and garlic. What is so cool is that I would not have purchased this on my own, but because he was generous I will definitely go back to his stand and buy more. Many of the farmers will let you try the produce. The fresh fruit is delectable and succulent.  


Here is the pattypan squash:




My favorite thing to make with fresh produce is a pasta salad.  


Tri-color Pasta Salad with Summer Vegetables


Ingredients:
1 package tri-color rotini pasta
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 cucumber
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 bottle of Wish Bone Lite Italian Dressing
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese


Preparation:
Boil pasta according to package directions.  Do not overcook.  Add chopped vegetables and pour dressing and cheese over salad.  Refridgerate to chill.  Just before serving, I usually mix in a little more dressing and cheese as the pasta usually soaks up the dressing.

Comments

Popular Posts