Cuchi-cuchi

Do you know Charo? Star of stage and screen? Musical artist (she is a flamenco guitarist)? Not ringing a bell yet? How about her multiple stints on the 70s tv show, Love Boat? Okay, cuchi-cuchi? Pouty lips? You got it! That Charo. Well, this post has nothing to do with her. This isn't her recipe, and I don't even know if she likes Charro Beans. I mean, they are not even spelled the same, so who knows.

What I know is these beans are served in a local mexican food restaurant in town, and I love some soupy beans. Plus, their name reminds me of the cuchi-cuchi Charo. Maybe I will anoint these beans Charo's Charro Beans. Surely, there must be some Charo in the world who likes these beans. Anyway, try them.

I think you will like them. I know I did.


Charo's Charro Beans

Ingredients:

1 lb. dried pinto beans

6 strips bacon, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 can diced tomatoes

1 medium onion, chopped

½ medium green pepper , chopped (you can also use red bell peppers)

½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped

4 cups chicken broth

8 cups of water

1 tsp. salt

½ tsp. pepper

1 tsp. cumin

Preparation:

Rinse and pick over beans. Let soak for a few hours or overnight. Fry bacon. Add vegetables to bacon and bacon grease. Cook until tender. Add herbs and spices. Add beans, broth, and water. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 3-4 hours. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.

Comments

Popular Posts