My Momma Can Cook

Paula Deen who??? She ain't got nothin' on my momma. My mother is the best cook I know. She taught me everything I know today about cooking, and I am extremely grateful. I have dazzled more than once with my recipe repertoire courtesy of my mom. Just to give you a hint of what I am talking about I wanted to share our Thanksgiving dinner. The menu consisted of turkey, brisket, mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing, broccoli and cheese casserole, and corn. My stepfather helped also by smoking the brisket. He is pretty good in the kitchen, too. Notice we are eating on Fiestaware. Doesn't that just make your mouth water?

I am pretty sure my mother is grateful to her mother for teaching her to cook. My grandmother, Zella Jo, was amazing in the kitchen. She could cook anything. When I asked her for her recipes, she didn't have any. It was all in her head. A little of this, a little of that, and it always turned out delicious. Her mother probably taught her as well.

That is what we do in the South; we pass down the recipes from our mothers and their mothers, and we honor them each time we sit down to a mouth-watering dinner, or supper as most called it. What are you favorite family recipes? Please share. I love the stories that go along with those little gems.




Comments

Popular Posts